The Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs (OSSJA) supports the University's educational mission by upholding standards of academic honesty and responsible behavior, promoting student development, and assisting students in need.
Functions and Programs
I. Student Support and Judicial Affairs administers the student disciplinary system at UC Davis.
OSSJA Judicial Officers:
- provide a fair resolution of alleged misconduct cases, with respect for the rights of accused students, reporting parties, and the campus community;
- uphold the University's standards of excellence in education and promote the ethical, intellectual, and emotional growth and development of students involved in the disciplinary process;
- provide leadership opportunities for students through the Campus Judicial Board;
- maintain confidential, centralized records of conduct cases and issue statistical reports as required to campus, state and federal agencies;
- support the safety and security of our community.
II. Student Support and Judicial Affairs supports students in need and coordinates the University's response to students of concern.
OSSJA Case Managers:
- provide non-clinical case management services to intervene, monitor and assist students who are in distress.
- support and assist staff, faculty, and students regarding students of concern.
- coordinate the agenda for Students of Concern Response Team.
III. Student Support and Judicial Affairs upholds student rights and responds to student grievances.
OSSJA serves as a resource for the informal resolution of student grievances and OSSJA staff:
- provide information, advice, and referrals regarding student rights and grievances -- including concerns such as arbitrary treatment, free expression, privacy, discrimination, and sexual harassment.
- seek to protect student rights and to promote a climate of fairness, civility, mutual respect and positive communication on campus.
IV. Student Support and Judicial Affairs develops, publishes, and distributes educational outreach materials and programs.
OSSJA aims to:
- educate the campus community about student rights, responsibilities and conduct standards through presentations, workshops, and printed materials.
- promote academic integrity and responsible conduct, and prevent misconduct.
- foster discussion of ethical issues and enhance the commitment of students, faculty and staff to academic integrity.
- respond to requests for information, advice, and referrals from faculty, staff, and others.
- research and apply strategies for promoting academic integrity and responsible student behavior.
V. Student Support and Judicial Affairs coordinates review and development of student-related policies.
OSSJA works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to:
- develop, evaluate, and implement protocols for situations such as those involving threats to self or others, assault, stalking, drug abuse, and/or other crimes or high-risk behaviors.
- review, update, and implement campus policies, including the UC Davis Policy on Student Conduct and Discipline, as well as other University policies related to students' rights and responsibilities.
- coordinate campus consultation and feedback on student-related systemwide policies.
VI. Student Support and Judicial Affairs oversees the UC Davis Campus Judicial Board.
OSSJA works with the student and faculty members of the CJB to:
- ensure that all members understand campus and system-wide policies involving student conduct.
- train members in the issues and skills necessary to adjudicate contested cases of student misconduct fairly and impartially;
- encourage and support the educational outreach projects of student members of the Board;
- foster the ethical development of CJB's student members; and
- develop leadership skills in all student members and provide leadership opportunities.
Edited 2/4/19 by md