a Newton's cradle with question marks on the balls

Frequently Asked Questions

Case Management FAQ's

  • What do case managers do?
  • - Gather information and connect students to campus and community resources.
    - Provide consultation to faculty and staff regarding students of concern, help problem-solve situations involving such students, and provide feedback to involved parties as needed.
    - Conduct presentations and support other programming to inform students, faculty, staff and community members about recognizing and responding to students of concern.
    - Do not conduct therapy or counseling as they are NOT therapists or counselors.

  • When should I refer a student of concern?
  • Contact the Case Managers when you first notice a student in distress. This may be related to emotional health, family or personal relationships, grades, academic standing, or other problems. It is often difficult to determine when a student is having a serious problem so it is better to err on the side of caution. Contacting OSSJA when you are concerned about a student does not get the student in trouble. We are here to help.
  • What are the signs that a student is in distress?
  • There are many, but here are some important ones:
    Academic Indicators: Sudden decline in quality of work and grades or multiple requests for extensions; overly demanding of faculty/staff time and attention; bizarre content in writings or presentations.
    Physical Indicators: Marked changes in physical appearance including deterioration in grooming and hygiene; significant weight loss/gain; intoxication, hangovers, or smell of marijuana or alcohol; signs of cutting; student appears disoriented or "out of it"; behavior is out of context or bizarre.
    Psychological Indicators: Self-disclosure of personal distress such as family problems, financial difficulties; mentions grief, excessive anxiety, or contemplating suicide; unusual or disproportional emotional response to events; verbal abuse of others (e.g. taunting, badgering, intimidation); expressions of concern about the student by his/her peers.
    Safety Risk Indicators: Unprovoked anger or hostility; physical violence (shoving, grabbing, assault, use of weapon); implying or making a direct threat to harm self or others; academic assignments dominated by themes of violence or extreme hopelessness, rage, worthlessness, isolation or despair; acting out, suicidal ideation or violent behaviors; stalking or harassing behavior.
  • Where can I find more information about possible warning signs?
  • For more information, please see the University of California Office of the President's guide, Promoting Student Mental Health: A Guide for UC Faculty and Staff.
  • How do I let you know about a student I'm concerned about?
  • Campus staff, faculty, students, families, and community members can refer a student to the Case Managers by submitting a report through our secure online form.
    NOTE: The Case Managers are NOT for EMERGENCIES!

  • What should I do if it IS an emergency or I become extremely concerned about a student during non-work hours?
  • If there is an immediate threat to the community or to any individual, including the student, either through self-harm or interpersonal violence, please call 911 or 530-752-1230.
  • Who should I contact if I don't think the student is going to hurt him/herself or anyone else but they are obviously in need of immediate psychological help?
  • Contact Student Health and Counseling Services at 530-752-2349 or 911.
  • What happens when I refer a student?
  • When you submit a referral through the online reporting process, a case manager will review the report, gather more information, and work collaboratively with various university personnel to determine needed resources and to develop an action plan appropriate to the level of concern. This can take two to three business days. When appropriate, staff will contact the student and provide resources and referrals. This can be done without mentioning your name, if you wish to remain anonymous.
  • Will someone notify me about what actions have been taken and the outcome?
  • student’s relationship with our office is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). As a result, we are sometimes limited with respect to what we can share without the student’s written consent. However, we can always answer general questions you may have, and are able to share more specific information on a "legitimate educational need-to-know" basis. In addition, you are always welcome to give us information. Although we can't always divulge specific details or outcomes, please feel free to contact us if you have questions and we will share what we can. As much as possible, we try to keep the referring party informed about the status of their referrals.
  • How can I schedule an appointment with a Case Manager?
  • Start the referral process by submitting a report through our secure online form. A case manager will review the information and respond in two to three business days. 
  • Will my student of concern referral be kept private?
  • Information that the University maintains about a student is considered part of the student’s educational record. In general, a student’s educational record cannot be released to third parties outside the University without the student’s written consent. Information can be shared with others at the University who have a legitimate educational interest. This includes the Police, Counseling Services, Case Managers, the Office of Student Support and Judicial Affairs, Title IX, and others. If in doubt, contact OSSJA or campus legal counsel for guidance. Sharing information within the University is critical. Not sharing information about a student of concern could lead to tragic consequences as well as to a judgment that the University failed to do its part. (UC Davis Red Folder)
  • What is the process for a student to withdraw from UC Davis? What are the things I need to know?
  • Circumstances may suggest that it is not the right time for a student to attend UC Davis. However, a Cancellation and Withdrawal may impact many areas including: health Insurance, residence hall or off-campus housing (rental contract issues), repayment of Financial Aid (Pell grants, scholarships, loans, etc.), academic progress, readmission, etc. As a result, students should consult with their academic advisers, Financial Aid & Scholarships, and other University staff before deciding to cancel and withdraw. Please visit the Registrar's page on Cancellation and Withdrawal for more information.
  • If I withdraw from UC Davis, what will I need to do in order to return?
  • Students who have canceled and withdrawn or have been dismissed from the University must file a readmission form by the applicable deadline before returning to campus to resume their academic pursuits. Please visit the Registrar's page on Readmission to get the deadlines and readmission form.
  • Is this process the same for graduate students?
  • No, graduate students apply for readmission through the Office of Graduate Studies.
  • How can I learn more about responding to students of concern?
  • SDPS offers a class several times per year. Additionally,  Student Health and Counseling Services provides a number of resources for faculty and staff regarding how to interact with and assist students with apparent mental health issues; these are available on their website.
  • Is it possible to request a presentation for my department?
  • Yes, the OSSJA case managers are available upon request to give presentations to students, faculty, and/or staff.  Click here to Request a Presentation.

Edited 4/19/2017 by MLA